The Importance of Prayer

        I'm currently reading through a great book by Elizabeth George...A Young Women's Call to Prayer.  Besides being beautifully written, the book portrays the need for young women to pray; and how important it is to pray.  But, it's so hard to pray sometimes!  When praying in the night, this is usually how I end up:
   'Dear, Lord Jesus, how holy is Your Name!--How great You are!  Lord, you've blessed me so much.  I thank you for a house, for my new friend across the road, for my new blog, [this is where I go: 'Oh, yeah! And I was gonna' finish that post...and now I forgot.  Oh, and the blog design--I wanted to change that.  Adding a new blog button would be nice, too.  E-mails!--Smack...I forgot to reply to Jessica...' etc.]  Do you get the point?  I start to drift off into a totally different world.  A world that I should be laying aside.  Why should I be laying that world of thoughts aside? -- to help me focus on God.   
        Let's face it: it can be hard to pray.  But let's plough through this together.  God loves to hear from us and we love to talk to Him.  Even though it may seem hard, let's think of a method by which we can  speak to God freely and without interruptions:
  1. When I go through really hard times it's then I can give my all to Jesus.  It's then when I can weep at His feet.  It's then that I pray non-stop without my thoughts interrupting my prayers.
  2. Write a letter to God.  Grab a piece of paper, a pen, and have some thoughts you want to jot down.  Pretend your writing to your best friend...in reality, you ARE writing to your Best Friend.  Share with Him your mistakes, your worries, and your joys.
  3. Sing praises! 
  4. .................This is where you comment and share suggestions!  Do you have a method by which you pray to God with?   Please share it.  
    'But,' some may be asking, 'why is prayer important?'

Prayer fulfils the Purpose of God in Salvation

The purpose of salvation is to restore lost people to relationship with God our Father. Through the cross of Jesus, the barriers to that relationship were removed. When we begin to trust God once again and turn from our sin, He comes into our lives to begin a new relationship of love with us. God is in every true Christian (Romans 8:9,10; John 14:23; Revelation 3:20; 2 Corinthians 13:5). Our faith and love towards God will lead us to recognise His presence with us, to talk with Him, to listen to Him, to sense Him. This is prayer. We express our thanks, our faith, our love, our hopes with God in prayer, and we receive from Him answers, assurance, guidance, peace, strength, power, revelation of who He is and what He wants to do. (Matthew 7:7-8; John 16:13; Philippians 4:6-7; Ephesians 1:17,18 ).  [This is taken from a site on prayer.]


   Do you see?  Isn't that amazing?  Why not start praying?...Now! 

 Lastly, if you're a woman, I'd highly recommend this book. ( http://www.amazon.com/Young-Womans-Call-Prayer-Elizabeth/dp/0736914633/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298121872&sr=8-1 ) 
     It's great.  Inspiring.  This book helps.


"…The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16). 

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Ephesians 6:18). 



"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). 


"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him" (Matthew 6:5-8). 


"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it" (John 14:13-14). 

Post a Comment